Why most people find easy answers such as lack of exercise or eating too much, these answers are naïve and would not really provide an in depth analysis of what is causing this epidemic of obesity not only in the United States but rest of the world.
Most obese people will tell you - they are trying to eat healthy, but they are still gaining weight. When I ask them what they really mean by "eating healthy" - most of them say they avoid fatty foods!
Let us examine this topic from the perspective of an obesity medicine physician. Before we start, let me give a little bit of my background.
My name is Prab R. Tumpati and I am a practicing sleep, obesity and internal medicine physician.
Having received special education, training and passing a written board examination in this new field of Obesity Medicine, and founder of W8MD Medical Weight Loss Centers Of America, I believe I have the credentials to write about this topic.
|Prab R. Tumpati, MD|
Founder of W8MD Medical Weight Loss Centers
Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009–2010
- More than one-third of adults and almost 17% of youth were obese in 2009–2010. Another third are in the overweight category.
- There was no change in the prevalence of obesity among adults or children from 2007–2008 to 2009–2010.
- Obesity prevalence did not differ between men and women.
- Adults aged 60 and over were more likely to be obese than younger adults.
Causes of weight gain
One of the most significant things that contributed to our increasing waist lines is in fact the failed and now withdrawn food pyramid. While this might seem like a shocker to some, here are the reasons why I think the food pyramid, which essentially assumed that "Fatty Foods" are not healthy in general, and that Americans eat way "too much" fat, and went on a mission to reduce the fat in take from about 40 percent of our diet to about 35 percent.
While the food pyramid largely succeeded in achieving this objective of reducing the overall fatty food intake, by steering us away from the fat to a low fat, but high glycemic carbohydrates, it in fact contributed to the weight gain.
Why did the food pyramid fail?
What the Food Pyramid failed to do was to differentiate simple versus complex sugars. It also placed undue importance on grain-based products. Grain-based “simple carbohydrates” such as breads, potatoes, rice, cereal and pasta, although often low in fat, also rate high on the glycemic index. That means that they break down quickly in the body, overwhelming the blood with sugars and potentially leading to a phenomenon called “insulin resistance".
Up to 71 percent have some insulin resistance
Affecting up to 71 percent of the population to some degree out of which one in every three adults in America already have prediabetes, insulin resistance is very common and can lead to difficulty losing weight. It can also lead to increased risk of type II diabetes, heart disease and other long-term health problems associated with obesity including risk of certain type of cancers.
What is causing insulin resistance?
Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body produces insulin, but does not use it properly.
Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps the body use glucose (natural sugar) for energy. When people are insulin resistant, their muscle, fat, and liver cells do not respond properly
to insulin. As a result, their bodies need more insulin to help glucose enter cells. The pancreas tries to keep up with this increased demand for insulin by producing more.
Eventually, it becomes overworked and may no longer be able to meet that demand. Excess glucose builds up in the bloodstream, setting the stage for diabetes. Many people with insulin resistance have high levels of both glucose and insulin circulating in their blood at the same time. Learning about insulin resistance is the first step toward making lifestyle changes that can help prevent diabetes and other health problems.
Why would insulin resistance cause weight gain?
Insulin is one of the most powerful anabolic hormones human body has ever seen. The natural response of the body to insulin resistance is to compensate by increasing the production of insulin so that the blood sugars are under control.
However, this excess insulin circulating in the body builds the body, especially in the upper part of the body and belly leading to a problem called metabolic syndrome. Affecting up to one in three adults in the United States, metabolic syndrome is very common and leads to increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and even increases the risk of many cancers.
How to reduce insulin resistance?
According to the American Diabetes Association, nearly two million new cases of diabetes were diagnosed in people aged 20 years and older in 2010.Since the grossly misleading food pyramid was introduced, the incidence of type 2 diabetes has one up as much as 400 percent in the United States.
Metabolic Syndrome or Prediabetes
Prediabetes, also called insulin resistance syndrome or metabolic syndrome, affects about a third of all Americans. If you have some extra weight around your waist, you might be insulin resistant. An obesity medicine physician specializing in the medical management of obesity and insulin resistance might be able to help.
Tips For Avoiding Insulin Resistance
- Get enough protein. If the body gets carbohydrates without enough protein, it goes into
- insulin resistance. Most people need about 30 grams of protein at each meal. One egg is about
- 7 grams. As we evolved as hunters and gatherers, we are designed to eat a non-grain based
- diet rich in protein, fruits, nuts and vegetables.
- Try to work more physical activity into yourday. Both exercise and resistance training can help reduce your risk of diabetes, and also helps to control it once you have it.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber helps reduce your risk of diabetes by improving your blood sugar control.
- Try more fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. Choose whole grains. When you do eat grains, look for the word «whole» in the ingredient list. Whole wheat, stone-ground whole wheat, brown rice, and oats are all whole-grain ingredients.
- Eat fewer simple carbohydrates. These foods, with high glycemic index, break down quickly in the body, and can lead to rapid fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
- Go easy on foods like white rice, white bread, white pasta, refined flours, candy, fruit juice, soda pop, and baked goods made with white flour.
- The key is to understand glycemic Index of foods and focus on low glycemic foods.
- Get enough sleep. When you’re sleep deprived, your body drives you to eat more simple carbohydrates. Get at least 7-8 hours a night.
- Get help from Obesity Medicine physicians. You probably tried them all and still cannot lose weight! You might want to get help from physicians trained in Obesity Medicine that can help deal with the complex issues leading to weight gain.
Read the three things that happened to our diet that leads to weight gain!
How can W8MD Help?
As an obesity medicine physician with specialized training in managing insulin resistance, W8MD physicians are well versed in managing insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and other weight related medical problems.
Using evidence based non surgical medical weight loss techniques, medications, nutritional counseling, adjusting weight gain related medications, W8MD physicians can help any body who is overweight or obese lose weight fast and safe! Call 1(800)W8MD-007 or visit http://www.w8md.com
Check these videos out from the w8md's 52 weeks of weight loss and wellness series on youtube!
- As America fights an epidemic of obesity, let us find out what truly causes obesity and what the cost of obesity is to the individual and society? Affecting up to 50 different medical conditions i…
- Did you know belly fat causes vitamin D Deficiency of vitamin D that affects over 40 percent of the population? Understand what truly causes this and what can we do to reverse it! Vitamin …
- Did you know recent research shows exercise on its own, without a calorie restricted diet, is useless for weight loss as exercise stimulates appetite and builds heavier muscle! Learn abou…
- Information about W8MD medical weight loss centers of America’s unique insurance physician weight loss program for physician supervised, non-surgical medical weight loss for safe and …
- Studies have shown that over 40% of the entire population of the United States are deficient in vitamin D. What really causes this and did we miss the bus on the true causes of vitamin D d…
- Although cereal grains played a significant role in our civilization, they are also our downfall as they are nutritionally deficient, higher in glycemic index leading to insulin resistance, and can…
W8MD weight loss video #8 - Weight loss medications diet pills Qsymia Phentermine, Topiramate ReviewWhat are the medication options available in the United States for weight loss? Which is the best weight loss medication or diet pill? What is the price, availability, and efficacy of the new…
- Best collection of W8MD weight loss and wellness videos!Cuases of weight gain, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and what really works, what does not work for weight loss! With over 20,000 books written on this topic, there is so much …
- W8MD medical weight loss centers 52 weeks of weight loss and wellness week 8 - causes of weight gain including insulin resistance, sleep disorders, hormonal imbalances, nutritional defi…
- Although there are many products and services marketed for weight loss, what are the 5 clinically proven measures to help you lose weight? Interview of Dr Prab R. Tumpati, MD, a pr…
- W8MD uploaded a videoHow sleep disorders lead to weight gain and weight gain leads to sleep problems, the bidirectional nature of sleep and weight from W8MD medical weight loss centers sleep and i…
- Amazing weight loss journey of Fred with W8MD Medical Weight Loss Centers Of America titled “Help me get rid of my belly fat and I will love you for ever”
- Insurance Covered Medical Weight Loss, and Sleep Wellness Program offered at multiple locations. Lose weight, and live better with W8MD’s Insurance Physician Supervised Medical …
- Physicians and healthcare providers interested in adding a cost effective, state of the art, medical weight loss and wellness program are encouraged to contact us for an exiting, limited time offer!
- Why exercise alone does not help for weight loss?
- Low fat or low carb diet?
- 12 ways to lose weight quickly
- Mistakes to avoid
- 3 things wrong with our diet
- Insulin Resistance
- Weight loss blog
- 8 Amazing weeks of weight loss
- Weight loss articles
- Fast weight loss tips
- Insurance coverage
- Weight loss news
- Success stories
- Benefits of weight loss
- Published articles
- Weight loss supplements
- Nutrition and physical degeneration by Weston Price