Although New York City is a bit leaner compared to some other cities in the United States, in many sections of the city, especially the Hispanic and African American communities, the rates of obesity in NYC are pretty high.
Let us look at the statistics of obesity and overweight status in New York? According to the BRFSS survey, about one-quarter (24.5%) of adults in Empire State(New York) are considered clinically obese and another 36% are overweight, an estimated 8.5 million residents. The rate of obesity are noted to be higher among adults who are non-Hispanic Black (32.5%), earn an annual household income less than $25,000 (26.8%), have less than a college education (27.1%), or are currently living with a disability (34.9%).
Causes of weight gain in New York
What really causes weight gain in New York? Is it as simple as the Government agencies want you to believe or is there more to it? If it is as simple as "eat less, exercise more", why is up to 70 percent of entire population of the united states and up to 50% of New Yorkers dealing with obesity or being overweight?
Here are the top 10 causes of weight gain New York City
1. metabolic reasons such as insulin resistance should be on the top of the list as this affects up to 70 percent of the population in the United States leading to weight gain, especially in the belly!
According to Dr. Prab R. Tumpati, MD, founder of W8MD medical weight loss centers of America, you cannot really lose weight unless you begin to realize the role of insulin in your body.
3. Lack of proper balanced protein based breakfast and can contribute to significant weight gain in New York.
4. Skipping meals is a habit known to cause weight gain in people in New York or elsewhere.
5. Eating larger portions is obvious reason for expanding waist lines of New Yorkers.
6. Sleep apnea and other sleep disorders can cause the tummies to swell in Yankees
7. Lack of physical activity needs no explanation as it is obvious but physical activity is for maintenance and on its own is not a great tool to lose weight per research.
8. Hormonal imbalances is another common reason why new yorkers can gain weight
9. Medications, especially psychiatric, and mood stabilizing medications, steroids etc.
10. Eating disorders, food sensitivities, nutritional deficiencies, genetic factors, post menopausal status in women etc. also cause weight gain.
What can you do to lose weight fast and safe in new york city?
Understand that there are many factors that contribute to weight gain and working with a trained and experienced weight loss doctor in New York City that accepts health insurance for the weight loss physician visits can make all the difference for fast and effective weight loss in New York City!